Can parents provide their child with an education without a school?

According to VTsIOM over the past few years, Russians assess the existing education system as mediocre. In addition to traditional education in municipal schools, today you can send your child to a private educational institution, combine school education with additional resources —  tutors, courses, clubs or choose self-study. What is family education, how it differs from home education, and what the school should do for children who study without its participation, figured out.

Is it allowed to study at home?

Yes. You can not trust the education of the child to general educational institutions, but plan the process yourself. Parents have a statutory right to choose how to teach their children (Article 17 of the Education Act). Among the forms of education outside educational organizations, the law, among other things, provides for family education.

What is the difference between family education and home-schooling?

Family education and home-based (home) education are — different forms of education. With homeschooling, the child is enrolled in the school, but is not present in full-time classes — teachers conduct lessons at home or online. For a school to provide education outside its walls you need good reasons, such as illness.

Unlike home education, family education is the responsibility of parents. Having chosen this form, you need to understand that the child is no longer associated with the school by any obligations. The only thing that remains — is carrying out attestations. The child must study at home and confirm the level of knowledge in the prescribed manner — to do this, the parents conclude an agreement with the educational organization for the provision of services — passing certification.

How to transfer to family education?

To avoid problems for the parent, it is necessary to notify the competent authorities and the school that the child will no longer attend classes. Otherwise, the absence of a student will be regarded as absenteeism without a good reason, and parents may be held administratively liable under Art. 5.35 of the Code of Administrative Offenses of the Russian Federation for failure to fulfill parental duties.

The first step to transition to family education — notifying the local department of education about the intention to change the form of education. To do this, you need to write an official application and attach the necessary documents. The application form and a list of attachments to it can be obtained from the department of education or found on its official website. If the parent does not want to talk about the reasons for the transfer, he may not do so.

After the education department is notified, you can go to the leadership of the educational institution and write a transfer application.

Can a school refuse to transfer to family education?

No, denial is not allowed. Since this form of education is provided for by law, general education institutions cannot fail to ensure its implementation and must adopt appropriate local acts. 

If the school management refuses, you can file a complaint with:

  • department of education;
  • ministry of education;
  • prosecutor's office;
  • Rosobrnadzor.

What obligations does a child have to school homeschooling?

The only thing that is required from a child studying at home with the help of their parents — to pass certification on time and with positive results to test knowledge. The certification program is based on federal state educational standards (FGOS) for elementary, middle and high schools.

For all other issues, parents have the right to independently decide how their child will receive knowledge. You can hire a tutor, enroll a student in online courses, choose any textbooks you like — it is only important to successfully pass the certification in order to receive a certificate of education at the end of the training.

How is the assessment carried out?

The law provides for two types of assessments:

  • intermediate (when moving to another class, completing a level of study, etc.) .)
  • final (OGE — after 9th grade, USE — after 11th grade).

The decision on how often to pass intermediate certification, parents make for themselves. Schools that have the right to conduct assessments for family education prescribe this opportunity and the frequency of knowledge tests (once a quarter, once every six months, once a year) & nbsp; in the charter. Parents decide for themselves whether what the school offers is suitable for them or not.

There are two forms of certification:

– at school (an agreement is concluded between the parent and the school on conducting certification, where the forms, terms and content of knowledge testing are prescribed);

– online (the agreement with the school provides access to an online platform where you can take certification as soon as you are ready).

In general, intermediate certifications may not be passed, but when the turn of the OGE or USE comes, for admission will need to pass the program for each subject for each class.

When concluding an agreement for certification, it is possible to provide for specific subjects that the child will take, for example, elementary school students can refuse to take a second foreign or computer science. You can also agree with the school management in what form the knowledge test will take place — test, test or other form.

What happens if you don't pass the certification? 

If a student fails a knowledge test, an academic debt is formed, which must be eliminated in two attempts. The retake rules are set by the educational organization. If the child does not pass the intermediate or final certification — this is a sign that family education is not suitable for him. In such a situation, the student will have to return to the traditional form, regardless of whether the parents want it or not.

What rights does the student have in family education?

Despite the fact that the school does not does not participate in the acquisition of knowledge, the student has the right to use some of the opportunities that it provides, but only during the period for which the contract for certification is concluded:

  • go to circles and sections;
  • use the library and borrow textbooks;
  • take part in competitions, competitions and olympiads;
  • receive the services of a school specialist in psychology or speech therapy.

can I return to school after family education?

A parent can change the form of education for a child. If an adult understands that he cannot cope with the load, or it is obvious that it is difficult for a child to acquire knowledge outside the school walls, you can return to school at any time. It is important that for this you do not need to wait for a specific moment, for example, the beginning of the school year, — you can write an application for enrolling your child back at any time.

Sources /guide/home-education/



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *